Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PS I forget the nightmare of Parking at Tulon

I forget to mention the last bit of stress for poor Lee-Anne as we arrived at Tulon. Gargoil got us to the place eventually. She does tend to give confusing directions in the city. Finally we found the alley way which looked all inviting so down this one way lane we head. Immediately follows a great land rover - no pressure. We come to the hotel - no where to stop. Me thinks, not a problem. We'll let Gargoil take us around again. Not so simple. The maze of one way alleys is confusing when Gargoil does not have clear access to all satellites. And people just decide to stop with their hazard lights flashing and come back a five - maybe ten minutes later and proceed after we've been thinking it all looks pretty dodgy. Then up another lane way - here's a motor bike stopped chatting to his black mate. This is a lane wide enough for our skinny car - but he's friendly and moves to the side and waves us through - even says I can come closer than the 10cm I allowed between the car and him.  We proceed on and eventually find the guy that blocked us for the 10 mins and follow him out of the maze.

What to do. I thinks - let's try again. This time, we spot a half empty stop. Lee-Anne says, "I think it's for disabled'. Ok, we can see the hotel 50 metres down the road so I'll wait and you go and ask at the hotel. First thing the lady at the hotel says to Lee-Anne is, "You have a car don't you?" - the stress on her face is very apparent.

Meanwhile some local gendarmes drive by and ask in nice clear English if I know this spot is for disabled. I explain that I'm in the car ready to move it if needed, while my wife is trying to sort out where we park at the hotel which they too can see (and one would think, may have come across before).  Happily they drive on and next thing Lee-Anne appears and indicates for me to come on down.

Just outside of the hotel are three impressive cylinders which sink down making an entrance one you enter the magic password - which Witch Lee-Anne now has! The gendarmes also decide to check our in front of our hotel so after another 10 minutes wait while they wait for somebody to move a car we are finally able to park for the night.

We did then go in search of food and found the best indian food ever - so the night did end well!

No comments:

Post a Comment