Today we visited some fascinating Roman Ruins at a place called Augusta Raurica. Her's a map which Lee-Anne snapped and I cropped to give you an idea of where it is. It is in Switzerland not far from the Rhine and therefore Germany.
The town was a northern outpost of the Roman Empire. If you look at google maps you can see why it was a meeting place of different routes used by travellers and merchants, not to mention soldiers moving from one area to another.
It was founded about 27BC and grew to have all the conveniences of a large metropolis of the day.
Imagine being here 1800 years ago.
Looking from the site of the temple
Ruins of what used to be a temple
You can make bread in the traditional Roman way here
Lee-Anne found a real broom!
She has lots more photos like these too.
The internet is good, but I still think one of the things I really appreciate about modern life is hot running water - and the Romans had this idea too!
And a model of how the town looked in its heyday.
Some contented Swiss cows
More ruins 10 minutes walk past the corn and cows.
And the victory goddess
We walked underneath these into the well.,
And some snaps Lee-Anne took as we were driving to Zurich
Getting to our accommodation was a bit of a challenge. Not sure if they need to really get stuck into repairs while the weather is fine here, but every way the GPS tried to take us was blocked due to roadworks. Eventually I thought I would head off in the general direction and let it recalculate a route, but just as I was heading away from all the roadworks, Lee-Anne spotted the hotel (and an empty park for good measure).
We found a supermarket where we bought some salad and fruit for dinner and a nice Italian made Mango Sorbet - those Italians do know how to make a good sorbet. Till tomorrow!


































Love that broom Lee-Anne, it's so you!!
ReplyDelete