Today we leave Tours behind and head for the coastal regions again.
You will not believe it but we went to one last chateau on our way, Chateau de La Belle au Bois dormant (Sleeping Beauty's Castle).
At the edge of the dark and mysterious forest of Chinon the majestic white outline of Usse the castle stands impressively over the Indre Valley. It inspired Perrault to write his famous stories and it remains a symbol of the medieval fairytale castle inhabited by brave lords, beautiful ladies and poets. Built in the 15th & 16th centuries on the foundations of the 11th century fortress. In 1855 the countess without a direct heir bequeathed Usse to her grand nephew. Usse has since stayed the property and residence of his discendants and retains the privilege and unique appeal to be able to offer visitors a tour into an ancestral home still inhabited to this day by it's owners.
This window in the chapel really caught my eye, isn't it unusual.
And of course who do you find at the top of the turret but the wicked witch.
I really loved this chateau the whole time you were walking through looking at the castle Disney music was being played, which just added to the wonder of the place.
We then drove to Angers renown to be Frances most beautiful city, we did think it was very clean and vibrant with the cream coloured buildings etc, but we are unsure that this is the most beautiful city.
Yes another church, St Croix built on the foundations of 592, wish I knew the history of this place, which you have to walk to the top of the hill to see and of course we did.
This half timbered house was built in 1716, and as well as being such a wonderful property the store inside was amazing with all sorts of nic nacs and amazing glass and pottery pieces. You started looking on the street level then it went down two more levels under the road.
Le Jardin du Mail in Angers.
Another amazing car beside us on the road today, I don't know what the guy thought when I took a photo of his car but I thought it was very unusual.
We then arrived at Ducey where our accommodation is, we are in a lovely little B & B type establishment beside the canal with a little waterfall. We went for a walk for dinner and this was another amazing round about I saw and thought I would share.
Eglise built in 1860.
Talk to you tomorrow.
























No comments:
Post a Comment