Monday, July 25, 2011

La Rochelle to Tours

Today we left the seaside behind and went inland to the country once again to see the chateau area of the Loire Valley. This was the dearest little round about we came across in one of the little villages.


The first chateau we saw was Chateau d;Azay le Rideau. It was a smaller chateau but it was really lovely. I just can't imagine living in a chateau for real but some people did.

Built on the  foundations of a medieval fortress, this Renaissance Chateau, is the creation of a wealthy financier under the reign of Francois I.


Andromache faints after witnessing her husbands death by being dragged by chariot around Troy, this is what is being depicted in the painting here.


One of the many tapestries.


This was the fire place with the coat of arms of a dragon engraved into it.



Imagine all the things that this mortar has done over the years, amazing.


Here is one of the many wonderful cars we are seeing whilst here.


We then went onto Chateau de Villandry. It was built in 1536 by the minister of Finance for Francois I. In 1906 the chateau was bought by the great grandfather of the present owner and it was he who created the 16th century style gardens.

I thought the way they set the table with spoons and one fork facing down was interesting.





This is amazing it is actually the roof of the oriental drawing room. The roof was actually made in the 15th century in Toledo for the Maquedaducal Palace. The palace was dismantled in 1906 and was bought for one of the ceilings in Villandry.


All the gardens are made with the theme of love. This garden is Tender Love separated by small flames. In the centre you can see the masks worn at balls.








I thought I would show you what people in France who live in large cities such as Paris do for a garden. This is the town of Tours if you have only an apartment you obviously can rent or buy a small plot of ground on the edges of the town that you use as a vegetable garden. All major town have one or more of these otherwise you are lucky enough to live on a property with your own garden in the country. Absolutely everyone has a has a vegetable garden it is amazing. 



We went for a walk for dinner in Tours where we are staying for two nights and saw this amazing house, where an art exhibition was being held.


This is the way to relax with a beer with friends, can you believe it is some kind of small personal tap of beer for your table.


The buildings in the old town are again amazing. These half timbered properties just catch your eye where ever you go.




This of course is the Hotel de Ville the town hall of Tours amazing that every town has such a lovely Town Hall.


Sorry the post for the blog was last it is really hard to get internet here so I hope to be able to share more chateaus with you tonight. 



2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you, that little roundabout is sweet. I'll bet there are so many children that would love to have that little house & the windmill to play in. What is it with me and going back to my childhood and playing in cubbies lately? Second childhood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was so cute, and yes just the right size for a child too small for the adults. I would play with you it would be great.

    ReplyDelete