Today we drove to Villedieu-les-Poeles a town known for its craft trades. There is a Copper Workshop, Pewter House and Bell Foundry. This was a lovely town and we really enjoyed looking at all the local craft products right in the tradesman's shops.
This is the Hotel de Ville - Town Hall.
The village is especially know for its copper.
Then we drove onto Rouen which was a really interesting city, with the most amazing buildings.
This is also the city where Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake and this church (Saint Joan of Arc Church) was built in memory of her.
This is the actual site of the burning.
Some of the ruins of the old church remain.
This is Cantier Monet Cathedral.
I believe this to be another black madonna that I found in this church. There is a story behind it being saved after the WWII destruction which I will have to look into.
This really amazing elaborate stair case was at the side of the church.
This building is the Palais de Justice and the masonry work leaves me speechless. How it survived WWII I will never know but thank goodness it did.
We then visited the Tour (Tower) where Joan of Arc was brought before her judges and tortured in 1431. It was a much larger building but the tower remains today.
This was the back of the Palais of Justice and these are the holes from the bullets fired during WWII.
We then drove to Le Havre where our accommodation is tonight, it is such a square town after all the old and wonderful towns we have visited in France, it is very harsh to see such square buildings with no character etc.
The Hotel de Ville is so plain and ordinary after all the elaborate buildings we have seen over the last three weeks.
We leave France tomorrow and travel into Belgium so we will say hi from there.



























I always get a lump in my throat when I think of Joan of Arc, I just feel so sorry for her. The movie with Leelee Sobieski was good. I should look up the history again, bits and pieces of what actually happened fade over the years.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, the stairs on that church are so beautiful and Palais de Justice looks delicate, like lace. Just lovely! Such a shame that the war has ruined so many old buildings and monuments.
Hi Jenny Yes lace is exactly what the work on these buildings looked like, I was totally blown away by it. After all the buildings that we have seen these were definitely the most delicate. I also need a refresher on Joan of Arc, I know Sue knows all about her will have to have a chat with her. Not that it at all justifies or helps Joan but it was very clear being there that the Church admit there mistake and have tried to do things in her honour now. Speak with you again soon. Love Lee-Anne
ReplyDelete