Friday, July 22, 2011

Carcassonne To Eysines (Bordeaux)

Today we left Carcassonne with its walled city and headed for Toulouse. Here are some pics as we drove through the countryside avoiding for most of the day the toll roads where you get there fast but don't see much. It really is beautiful countryside.









Toulouse  is called the Pink City ‘Ville Rose’ and is the richest city in France for Renaissance mansions. We found the Pink - only we think it should probably we called Terracotta!


 This is a museum:
with a great door:

And a great bridge:
 with tunnels presumably for extra capacity for moving water downstream. (Could double as somewhere to sleep for the homeless so long as they can climb all year and swim really well in the wet season!)


And the ubiquitous cathedral with the mandatory beggar on the steps.



Sorry, forget to take the pic of the beggar!

But wait, there is more pink:




Really will have to get one of these for Lee-Anne. I think all the photos must be a hint!


And then more snaps as we drove to Bordeaux.


Hope there is no earthquake/tsunami tonight - this is a nuclear power station and it's not that far away.


And how's this for an even better roof:



After covering just under 400km we arrived safely at our accommodation. Dinner has been a challenge but tonight we spotted WOK - Buffet a Volonte. It was excellent - Lee-Anne was looking a bit bamboozled at a section with raw meat and vegetables so the kind waitress came over and told her to get a new plate, put on it  what meat and vegetables she would like cooked in a Wok, and then take it over to the wok man. This she did and he was an artiste at work.

While she was waiting a kind French man asked if she was English to which replied, "yes" and quickly added, "Were here from Australia". He then translated the different sauce options into English for her and then the wok man took her plate of raw ingredients and added them to boiling water for a few minutes while finishing off the previous customers wok. Then he placed the par cooked ingredients into a freshly washed wok after adding some oil and secret herbs and spices I think. After more oil and tossing and lots of nice high flames you are presented with your especially prepared fresh plate of cooked food - and it was delicious.

Till tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I was always so amazed at the way so many people were willing to help me when I was in Europe. Going out of their way and/or translating. I like to think that we would do the same over here in Oz, but I fear there aren't many who would bother. After having the experience overseas I know I definately would. It gave me such a warm feeling inside to know that there are so many lovely caring people in this world of ours who are willing to help a complete stranger :) By the way, that scenery is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny

    Yes the kindness and help that Kevin and I receive daily just is amazing, I also would like to think that we would do the same but like you I have my doubts. Yes we would within an instant but I think many would even help our fellow Australians. I will never forget the man you took Kevin from the police station, to the newsagents we think to pay the fine for the parking then to a special letterbox to post the paid fine, then onto the car dealer where the car had been towed away and helped Kevin pay the towing charge and see that he was set on his way before continuing his day. The whole thing must have taken at least an hour of his time and petrol in his car to travel say 15km. Without him I am not sure how we would have worked out what to do. He is only one of so many people.

    Yesterday was a lovely day driving through the countryside we really enjoyed the peace and the so green of the foilage, maybe it is like this all the time or maybe it has rained recently but it is so green with the vivid yellow of the sunflowers, purple of the lavender, it really is beautiful. Bye. Love Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete